Stan Getz (ts), Conte Candoli (tp), Lou Levy (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Shelly Manne, Stan Levey (d)
Bar code: 6009143173439
In 1996 when Verve released a three-CD set that fully documented six sessions from the 1955-57 period by tenor saxophonist Stan Getz, they also came out with this one-CD sampler. Many of the main highlights are on this disc, including a heated rendition of "Shine," "Four," "A Handful Of Stars" and "East Of The Sun." The Lou Levy Trio and (on a few numbers) trumpeter Conte Candoli work quite well with the Cool-toned tenor.
01. Four (Davis) (7:32)
02. Of Thee I Sing (Gershwin, Gershwin) (4:08)
03. A Handful of Stars (Lawrence, Shapiro) (3:40)
04. Suddenly It's Spring (Burke, VanHeusen) (6:56)
05. Blues for Mary Jane (Getz) (7:50)
06. You're Blasé (Hamilton, Sievier) (4:10)
07. How About You? (Freed, Lane) (7:08)
08. East of the Sun (And West of the Moon) (Bowman) (6:17)
09. But Beautiful (Burke, VanHeusen) (5:20)
10. Shine (Brown, Dabney, Mack) (6:53)
Total time: 61:54 min.
All tracks recorded at Radio Recorders and Capitol Studios, Hollywood, between 1955 and 1957.
Personnel: Stan Getz (ts), Conte Candoli (tp on #1,4,8 & 10), Lou Levy (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Shelly Mane (d). Stan Levey replaces Manne on #5-7.
Tracks #1,4,8 & 10 taken from the LP issue: "West Coast Jazz" (Norgran MGN 1032).
Tracks #2,3,5-7 & 9 taken from the LP issue: Stan Getz & the Cool Sounds" (Verve MGV 8200).