One of the greatest stylists American music has produced and the father of R&B-styled tenor sax. His unique powerful tone, distinctive phrasing and mastery precedes a jazzman of another magnitude. These ground breaking recordings supervised by Norman Granz between 1951-53 are a clear indication how great his art is. Inspired to play in a most relaxed manner in the company of Hank Jones, Sir Charles Thompson and Count Basie. This CD became the Swing-gem you need. So sit down, listen and enjoy the vibrant and juicy Jacquet Sound à la Carte.
01. Just A Sittin' And A Rockin' (Ellington-Strayhorn) 2:49
02. Mean To Me (Ahlert-Turk) 3:15
03. One Nighter Boogie (Illinois Jacquet) 3:00
04. Wrap Your Troubles And Dreams (Barris-Koehler-Moll) 3:24
05. Cotton Tail (Duke Ellington) 2:51
06. Weary Blues (Artie Matthews) 3:11
07. Groovin' (Illinois Jacquet) 2:40
08. Boot 'Em Up (Jacquet-Salim) 2:57
09. Bluesitis (Jacquet-Salim) 3:03
10. Swingin' Home (Jacquet-Salim) 3:15
11. Lean Baby (Billy May) 3:01
12. Somewhere Along The Way (Gallop-Adams) 2:53
13. The Cool Rage (Illinois Jacquet) 2:30
14. Port Of Rico (Illinois Jacquet) 2:41
15. Blues In The Night (Arlen-Mercer) 2:54
16. Fat Man Boogie (Billy May) 2:56
17. What's The Riff (Illinois Jacquet) 2:53
18. Where Are You? (McHugh-Adamson) 2:53
19. Little Jeff (Jacquet-Acea) 3:38
20. Jacquet Jumps (Jacquet-Acea) 1:48
21. Blue Nocturne (Jacquet-Acea) 3:04
22. On Your Toes (Jacquet-Salim) 3:16
23. R.U. One? (Jacquet-Salim) 2:52
24. (It's The) Talk Of The Town (Livingston-Neiburg) 3:26
Total Time: (70:59)
Personnel on tracks #1-7: Illinois Jacquet (ts); Hank Jones (p); John Collins (g); Gene Ramey (b); Art Blakey (d).
Recorded in New York, May 24, 1951
Personnel on tracks #8-10: Russell Jacquet, Elmon Wright, Lamar Wright, Joe Newman (tp); Matthew Gee, Henry Cocker (tb); Earle Warren, Ernie Henry (as); Count "Red" Hastings, Illinois Jacquet (ts); Cecil Payne (bs); Johnny Acea (p) Freddie Green (g); Al Lucas (b); Shadow Wilson (d). A.K. Salim (arr).
Recorded in New York, March 31, 1952
Personnel on tracks #11-14: Illinois Jacquet (ts); Hank Jones (p); Count Basie (org, except on 12); Freddie Green (g); Ray Brown (b); Jimmy Crawford (d).
New York, July 22 or 24, 1952
Personnel on tracks #15-18: Illinois Jacquet (ts); Hank Jones (org); Sir Charles Thompson (p); Joe Sinacore (g); Al Lucas (b); Shadow Wilson (d).
Recorded in New York, December 31, 1952
Personnel on tracks #19-24: Rossell Jacquet (tp); Illinois Jacquet (ts); Matthew Gee (tb); Cecil Payne (bs); Johnny Acea (p); Al Lucas (b); Shadow Wilson (d).
Recorded in New York, poss. December 11, 1953
All original Clef sessions produced by Norman Granz
Selected & sequenced for CD reissue: Tomás González
Production assistance: Esteban Sánchez
Liner notes edited by John Clifford
Booklet photography: Eduard Olivella
Cover art: Oscar Font
Multimedia tech by Toni Borja
© 2002 by Ocium Records, Barcelona, Spain
Additional information available through your computer with Biography, Discography, Jazz Timeline & Ocium catalogue. This enhanced CD can be played on a regular CD player. The multimedia contents requires Windows compatible PC, 32 MB of available RAM, CPU Pentium, 233Mhz sound card