The playing of Argentinian pianist Enrique Villegas (1913-1986) was unique, exciting and continuously interesting, with a special character of its own founded on his classical training and jazz inclinations. He moved to the United States in 1955, when he was already well-known in his country, with the intention of establishing himself in North America as a Jazz pianist. His nightclub debut at the Cafe Bohemia was an instant success, and his performances were acclaimed by both critics and public.
His career was already on its way, but two years after his arrival in New York, he drastically decided, due to artistic discrepancies with his record label, to return to Buenos Aires. This CD contains the two historic trio albums Villegas recorded during his stint in New York City.
Total time: 79:27 min.
01. Ain't Misbehavin' (Razaf-Waller-Brooks) 3:02
02. Yesterdays (Harbach-Kern) 5:00
03. What Is This Thing Called Love (Cole Porter) 4:13
04. Chopin Prelude (Frédéric Chopin) 5:07
05. Lazy Bones (Mercer-Carmichael) 3:47
06. Where Or When (Rodgers-Hart) 5:18
07. Sometimes I'm Happy (Caesar-Youmans) 3:10
08. Embraceable You (G. & I. Gershwin) 5:02
09. Poor Butterfly (Garner-Hubbell) 5:50
10. Jelly Roll Blues (Jelly Roll Morton) 3:18
11. I Ain't Got Nobody (Graham-Williams) 1:42
12. Black Beauty (Duke Ellington) 2:34
13. Honeysuckle Rose (Waller-Razaf) 2:41
14. Rosetta (Hines-Woods) 2:45
15. Jumpin' at the Woodside (Count Basie) 2:01
16. Night In Tunisia (Gillespie-Paparelli) 3:33
17. Django (John Lewis) 6:05
18. Scruby (Friedrich Gulda) 7:33
19. Western Reunion (Gerry Mulligan) 6:37
Tracks #1-9, from the album "Introducing Villegas" (Columbia CL 787)
Tracks #10-19, from the album "Very, Very Villegas" (Columbia CL 877)
Enrique Villegas (piano), Milt Hinton (bass), Cozy Cole (drums).
All tracks recorded in New York City, September 8 & 9, 1955 [#1-9], March 13, April 10 & May 2, 1957 [#10-19]
Photography by Bernard Cole, Ray Shore & Bill Hughes
Original recordings produced by George Avakian
This compilation produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
© 2006 by Fresh Sound Records
Hi Fi · Digitally Remastered
Blue Moon Producciones Discograficas, S.L.