Ricky Woodward (ts, as), Eric Reed (p), Tony Dumas (b), Roy McCurdy (d)
5***** By All Music Guide.
1. I Remember Clifford (Benny Golson)
2. Thou Swell (Rodgers-Hart)
3. Secret Love (Fain-Webster)
4. Good Morning Heartache (Fisher-Drake)
5. Billie's Bounce (Charlie Parker)
6. My Shining Hour (Arlen-Mercer)
7. Teaneck (Nat Adderley)
8. Gentle Rain (Dubey-Bonfa)
9. Night Mist (Rickey Woodard)
Recorded in Hollywood, 1991
Tenor-saxophonist Rickey Woodard's many fans may be unaware of this particular CD. Recorded in 1991 for the Spanish Fresh Sound label, this somewhat obscure outing finds Woodard in top form heading a straightahead quartet comprised of pianist Eric Reed, bassist Tony Dumas and drummer Roy McCurdy. Together the Los Angeles all-stars play a variety of standards plus Woodard's "Night Mist," the only song on which he switches to alto. The music consistently swings, features inventive solos within the boundaries of hard bop and is well-paced with the highlights including "Thou Swell," "Secret Love," "Billie's Bounce" and "My Shining Hour." Well worth searching for.
-by Scott Yanow (AMG).