Bar code: 8436019581346
Two complete recordings for the first time ever on CD. This sensational release features Paul Chambers and Tommy Flanagan with two all-star Detroit formations including such outstanding musicians as Thad and Elvin Jones, Donald Byrd, Pepper Adams, Billy Mitchell, Kenny Burrell and Louis Hayes, originally named as "Hey" Lewis for contractual purposes. Both sessions were recorded in studio. The majority of the compositions provided are by Thad Jones and Pepper Adams and the music never strays far from the sublime.
01. Let's Play One (Thad Jones) 8:07
02. Minor on Top (Thad Jones) 8:43
03. Like Old Times (Thad Jones) 9:29
04. No Refill (Thad Jones) 5:42
05. Stardust (Hoagy Carmichael) 10:15
06. Philson (Pepper Adams) 10:44
07. Trio (Erroll Garner) 8:04
08. Libeccio (Pepper Adams) 8:38
09. Bitty Ditty (Thad Jones) 5:16
Total Time: 75:03 min.
Thad Jones, Donald Byrd (trumpets), Billy Mitchell (tenor sax), Pepper Adams (baritone sax), Tommy Flanagan (piano), Kenny Burrell (guitar), Paul Chambers (bass), Elvin Jones or Louis Hayes (drums).
Recorded in New York City, 1959-1960
4**** Jazz Spectrum
"A sterling recording of the legendary Detroit music scene's top musicians... what more needs to be said ?"
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!