Bar code: 8436019581872
All the studio recordings made between 1955 and 1958 by Lester Young. Tremendous later work from Lester Young - pulled from a flurry of excellent Verve albums of the late 50s.
The format here is great - as it lays out the sessions in progression from 1955 through 1958 - showing Young in the company of players that include Harry Edison, Vic Dickenson, Oscar Peterson, Roy Eldridge, and Herb Ellis - all swinging in a gently spacious way that gives ample solo space to all key players. If you ever needed a definition of the Verve "swing" sound of the 50s, this 2CD package could well be it - as the 22 tracks on the set are a perfect example of the way the label could create a perfect setting for a player like Young.
01. Mean to Me
02. That's All
03. Red Boy Blues
04. Pennies from Heaven
05. She's Funny That Way
06. One o'Clock Jump
07. I Guess I'll Have to Change my Plan
08. I Didn't Know What Time It Was
09. Gigantic Blues
10. This Year's Kisses
11. You Can Depend on me
Total time: 77:42 min.
01. Saint Tropez
03. Love is Here to Stay
04. Warldorf Blues
06. You're Getting to a Habit with Me
08. Gypsy in my Soul
09. Please Don't Talk about Me When I'm Gone
10. They Can't Take that Away from Me
11. Salute to Benny
Total time: 79:17 min.
This release contains 4 complete albums on 2 CD:
- Pres and Sweets (Norgran-Verve, 1955)
- The Jazz Giants '56 (Verve, 1956)
- Going for Myself (Verve, 1960)
- Laughin' to Keep from Cryin' (Verve, 1958)
Recorded in Los Angeles & New York City, 1955-1958
All sessions originally produced or supervised by Norman Norman Granz
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!