Bar code: 8436019581605
This phenomenal CD contains the complete music recorded by Lee Morgan at the tender, yet mature age of 18, the November 5 and 7, 1956, at the Rudy Van Gelders studio in Hackensack, New Jersey, under the leadership of the Hank Mobley Quintet with pianist Hank Jones, bassist Doug Watkins, and drummer Art Taylor.
This All-Stars quintet plays six originals (one by Fats Navarro, one by Thad Jones, two by Hank Mobley, and two by Doug Watkins) and a Ballad Medley with Softly, As in A Morning Sunrise, P.S. I Love You, Easy Living and Thats All.
01. Hank's Shout (Hank Mobley) 7:00
02. Bet! (Doug Watkins) 7:52
03. Softly as in a Morning Sunrise (Romberg-Hammerstein II) 2:31
04. P.S. I Love You (Jenkins-Mercer) 4:22
05. Easy Living (Robin-Rainger) 2:46
06. That's All (Haymes-Brandt) 2:42
07. Nostalgia (Fats Navarro) 8:51
08. Thad's Blues (Thad Jones) 9:47
09. A-1 (Hank Mobley)
10. Doug's Minor B'ok (Doug Watkins) 6:37
11. A-1 (Hank Mobley) [Alternate] 5:46
Total time: 64:06 min
These titles were originally issued on two Savoy albums:
"Introducing Lee Morgan with Hank Mobley Quintet" (Savoy MG 12091)
"Jazz Message #2" (Savoy MG 12092)
The Hank Mobley Quintet
Lee Morgan (trumpet), Hank Mobley (tenor sax), Hank Jones (piano), Doug Watkins (bass), Art Taylor (drums).
Recorded in Hackensack, New Jersey, November 5 & 7, 1956
"This hard bop-oriented session is one of trumpeter Lee Morgan earliest recordings, with tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley The lead voices are in fine form on Fats Navarro's Nostalgia and other originals."
Scott Yanow -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!