Reference: FSRCD 033
Bar code: 8427328600330
01. Nobody Else But Me (Hammerstein-Kern) 3:23
02. The More I See You (Gordon-Warren) 3:08
03. Old Buttermilk Sky (Brooks-Carmichael) 2:45
04. I Never Has Seen Snow (Arlen-Capote) 3:50
05. A Fine Romance (Fields-Kern) 2:54
06. Who Cares What People Say (Jerome-Scholl) 2:35
07. Makin' Whoopee (Donaldson-Kahn) 2:05
08. The Charm of You (Cahn-Styne) 2:28
09. Isn't This a Lovely Day? (Irving Berlin) 3:15
10. Mairzy Doats (Drake-Hoffman-Livingston) 2:44
11. My Kind of Love (Holdeman-Sherman-Trace) 2:25
12. Can't Get Out of This Mood (Loesser-McHugh) 2:47
Originally issued as Roost RLP 2218
Beverly Kenney (vocals), Joe Newman (trumpet), Frank Wess (tenor sax, flute), Jimmy Jones (piano), Freddie Green (guitar), Eddie Jones (bass), Jo Jones (drums).
Recorded in New York City, 1956
Liner notes: Barry Ulanov
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
"Beverly Kenney, one of the most interesting jazz singers of the mid-'50s, led just three albums in her brief career. This set, reissued by the Spanish Fresh Sound label, teams Kenney with pianist Jimmy Jones, four then-current members of Count Basie's band (trumpeter Joe Newman, Frank Wess on tenor and flute, rhythm guitarist Freddie Green, and bassist Eddie Jones), plus former Basie-ite Jo Jones on drums. The light but swinging backing is perfect for Kenney, who excels on such songs as "Nobody Else But Me," "A Fine Romance," "Isn't This a Lovely Day," and "Can't Get Out of This Mood." She deserves to be remembered."
Scott Yanow -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!