Recorded at the celebrated Club Saint Germain, the formation presented here marks the third incarnation of Art Blakeys Jazz Messengers, with trumpeter Lee Morgan (then only 20 years old), tenor saxophonist Benny Golson, pianist Bobby Timmons and bassist Jymie Merrit. For the last two tunes, bop drum pioneer Kenny Clarke (who was living in Paris) substitutes Blakey.
Besides the individual gifts of each member, the group forms a compact unit with a cohesive sound. We play modern jazz, explained Blakey during a 1958 interview, and to understand it you must listen. We study, we rehearse. The Jazz Messengers are very serious about getting the music across to you. If you dont want to listen, maybe the person sitting next to you does.
01. POLITELY (Bill Hardman) 15:43
02. WHISPER NOT (Benny Golson) 7:16
03. NOWS THE TIME (Charlie Parker)13:37
04. THE FIRST THEME (Traditional) 8:30
05. MOANIN WITH HAZEL (Bobby Timmons)13:57
06. WE NAMED IT JUSTICE (EVIDENCE) (Thelonious Monk) 6:37
01. BLUES MARCH FOR EUROPE -NUMBER ONE (Benny Golson)11:19
02. LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE (Johnny Burke-Jimmy Van Heusen)10:52
03. ALONG CAME MANON (Benny Golson) 10:07
04. OUT OF THE PAST (Benny Golson) 11:02
05. A NIGHT IN TUNISIA (Dizzy Gillespie)17:35
06. ENDING WITH THE THEME (Traditional) 0:30
Includes the integral December 21, 1958 concert at Club Saint Germain,
GRAND PRIX 1959 Académie Charles Cros
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!