Toots Thielemans (g, harm), Dick Hyman (p, org), Herbie Hancock (p), Al Casamenti, Gene Bertoncini, Bucky Pizzarelli (g), Ron Carter (b), Ronnie Zito (d), Tony Mottola (g), Phil Bodner (woodwinds), Bob Haggart (b), Bobby Rosengarden (d), Phil Kraus (vib)
Reference: BMCD 844
Bar code: 8427328008440
· Collectors Edition
· Issued in Digipack
· 2 Original LPs on 1 CD
· Original Cover Art and Liner Notes
· 12-page booklet
· Stereo Recordings
· Newly Remastered in 24-Bit
Even if youve heard Toots Thielemans before, youll still be amazed by Toots. In this album he excels on harmonica and guitar in a collection of standards and new items that give him ample opportunity to display his virtuosity. The tunes ranges from a smooth and easy 'I Cant Get started' to an easy-beat 'Whispering' with a rollicking 'O Susannah' thrown in good measure. Here are Toots and his friends, a small group of close-knit musicians playing with and for each other.
The second album in this compilation, Heart and Soul is a dramatic and heartwarming showcase for Tony Mottola's talent. Here are songs of the heart, played with soul and captured with fabulous sensitivity from the most breathless whisper of the classical guitar, through the strongest chords of the amplified Gibson Guitar. The name of Tony Mottola stands for the finest musicianship and interpretative warmth.
01. O Susannah (Traditional) 2:40
02. Please Send Me Someone to Love (Percy Mayfield) 3:43
03. There Is No Greater Love (Jones-Symes) 2:34
04. Preachmanship (Bertoncini) 2:22
05. I Cant Get Started (Duke-Gershwin) 2:51
06. Secret Love (Webster-Fain) 3:07
07. Blues Talk (Thielemans) 2:13
08. By the Time I Get to Phoenix (Webb) 3:03
09. Im Beginning to See the Light (Ellington-Hodges-George) 2:32
10. Lover Man (Davis-Ramirez-Sherman) 2:50
11. The Good Life (Distel) 2:52
12. Whispering (Schonberger-Coburn-Rose) 2:46
13. Heart and Soul (Carmichael-Loesser) 3:19
14. If He Walked Into My Life (Herman) 4:08
15. Lullaby of the Leaves (Young-Petkere) 2:29
16. Im Getting Sentimental Over You (Bassman-Washington) 2:28
17. Tonys Tune (Mottola-Haggart) 2:27
18. Little Girl Blue (Rodgers-Hart) 3:29
19. Georgia (Johnson-Donaldson) 2:22
20. Love Is Here to Stay (G.& I. Gershwin) 2:25
21. Jimmys Blues (Mottola) 3:28
22. The Gang That Sang Heart of My Heart (Ryan) 2:10
23. The Impossible Dream (Leigh-Darion) 3:07
24. My Ideal (Robin-Whiting) 2:31
Tracks #1-12, from the album "Toots" (Command RS 930 SD)
Tracks #13-24, from the album "Heart & Soul / Guitar"
(Project 3 Total Sound album PR 5003-SD)
Personnel on "Toots":
Toots Thielemans, guitar & harmonica; Dick Hyman, piano & organ; Al Casamenti, Gene Bertoncini and Bucky Pizzarelli, guitars; Ron Carter, bass; Ronnie Zito,drums. Herbie Hancock, piano, replaces Hyman on #1, 6 & 8.
Arrangements by Jack Andrews
Fine Recording Studios, New York City, 1968
Personnel on "Heart & Soul / Guitar":
Tony Mottola, guitar; Phil Bodner, woodwinds; Dick Hyman, piano & organ; Al Casamenti, rhythm guitar; Bob Haggart, bass; Bobby Rosengarden, drums; Phil Kraus and Joe Venuto, vibes & percussion.
Fine Recording Studios, New York City, 1966
Original recordings produced by Loren Becker & Bobby Byrne / Enoch Light & Julie Klages
Sound Engineer: George Piros
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
"Like all too many dates led by jazz musicians for Command, this Toots Thielemans record is handicapped by rather run of the mill uninspiring arrangements, on this occasion by Jack Andrews. Fortunately, the considerable talent on this session means that at least some of the solos by Thielemans and his associates (including Dick Hyman, Gene Bertoncini, Bucky Pizzarelli, and Herbie Hancock, among others) makes the session hold up better than most of those done for the label. Thielemans is particularly aggressive on harmonica on "I Can't Get Started" and switches to a country-flavored approach on guitar for the old folk tune "O Susannah." The tracks with organ, rather than piano, haven't held up as well, though Thielemans' consistently high level of playing make this hard to find LP worth acquiring."
Ken Dryden -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!