Reference: FSRCD 415
Bar code: 8427328604154
During the early Fifties a good deal was written about the new sounds of modern jazz. The seven piece band assembled for these recordings two saxes, trumpet, trombone, bass and drums contributed a solid, haunting backdrop which bids fair to keep the aural arguments permanently in the forefront of the cool music league. The absence of guitar and piano helped configure the very special sound we hear a solid groundwork over which Tony blows at his impressive best. There are no other soloists, for Tony is and rightly so the whole show; it is not often that jazz can offer such a brilliant, lucid and logical individual exposé. He is, by any standards, a great clarinetist and, on the strength of these performances alone, very possibly one of the most brilliant spokesmen regardless of instrument.
01. Vendome (Lewis) 3:21
02. Blue Room (Rodgers-Hart) 2:40
03. Riding High (Porter) 2:34
04. Late Show (Scott) 2:48
05. Lullaby of Birdland (Shearing) 3:14
06. Squaw With No Reservation (Scott) 2:29
07. Body And Soul (Green) 3:01
08. My Melancholy Baby (Burnett-Norton) 2:25
09. Friday The 13th (Scott) 3:05
10. Fingerpoppin' (Scott) 3:08
11. But Not For Me (Gershwin) 3:05
12. Forty-Second Street (Warren-Dubin) 2:54
13. Abstraction Nº1 (Scott) 1:56
14. Lucky To Be Me (Comden-Bernstein-Green) 2:54
15. Requiem For 'Lips' (Scott) 4:08
16. Autumn Nocturne (Myrow-Gannon) 3:09
17. Our Love Is Here To Stay (Gershwin) 2:04
18. Sunday Scene (Scott) 2:53
19. Three Short Dances For Solo Clarinet (Scott) 2:38
20. Glad To Be Unhappy (Rodgers-Hart) 2:31
Total time: 60:37 min.
This CD compilation contains:
- Tony Scott Septet RCA EP EPA-596
- Tony Scott RCA EP EPA-705
- Tony Scott Septet RCA LP Scotts Fling LJM-1022
- 1 Track from RCA LPM-1146
Personnel and recording dates:
Tracks #1-5: Jimmy Nottingham (tp), Kai Winding (tb), Tony Scott (cl), Eddie Wasserman (ts), Danny Bank (bs), Milt Hinton (b), Osie Johnson (d).
Recorded in New York City, September 28, 1954
Tracks #6-20: Same personnel but Billy Byers (tb) replaces Kai Winding.
Recorded in New York City, December 18, 1954, January 7 & 12, 1955
This CD release produced by Jordi Pujol
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!