Featuring: Tommy Turrentine (tp), Julian Priester (tb), Stanley Turrentine (ts), Horace Parlan (p), Bob Boswell (b), Max Roach (d)
REFERENCE: ST 2009
BAR CODE: -
When he recorded this album, his lone date as a leader, trumpeter Tommy Turrentine (who was a member of Max Roach's group along with his brother, the soon-to-be famous tenor Stanley Turrentine) seemed to have a potentially great future. Unfortunately, ill health would eventually force his retirement. Turrentine's set for Time actually features the musicians of Roach's quintet (including brother Stanley, trombonist Julian Priester, bassist Bob Boswell, and Roach himself) plus pianist Horace Parlan. The trumpeter contributed five of the seven songs (which are joined by Horace Parlan's "Blues for J.P." and Bud Powell's "Webb City") on this fine straight-ahead hard bop set. All of the musicians play up to par and the results are swinging and fit securely into the modern mainstream of the time.
01. Gunga Din (Tommy Turrentine) 6:40
02. Webb City (Bud Powell) 5:47
03. Time's Up (Tommy Turrentine) 4:09
04. Long As You are Living (Tommy Turrentine) 3:46
05. Too Clean (Tommy Turrentine) 6:23
06. Two, Three, One, Oh! (Tommy Turrentine) 5:22
07. Blues for J.P. (Horace Parlan) 9:13
Recorded in New York City, January 19, 1960.