Live in Belgrade
Sarah Vaughan (vcl), Carl Schroeder (p), John Gianelli (b), Jimmy Cobb (d)
This release presents Sarah Vaughans brilliant and rarely heard 1973 performance at the Newport-Belgrade Jazz Festival, recorded shortly after her celebrated concert in Tokyo and featuring the same personnel. As a bonus, three tracks from the Tokyo set including Sarahs poignant rendering of 'My Funny Valentine'.
This Belgrade show presents Sarah at the peak of her talents singing some of her most remarkable classics, such as 'Round Midnight' and 'Summertime', songs played and sung thousands of times, but which in contact with her genius sound fresh and new.
01. BLUE MONK [Instrumental intro] (8:28)
02. A FOGGY DAY (1:55)
03. THE SUMMER KNOWS (4:28)
04. ON A CLEAR DAY (1:39)
05. ROUND MIDNIGHT (7:07)
06. ILL REMEMBER APRIL (4:53)
07. MISTY (3:54)
08. I CRIED FOR YOU (1:31)
09. RAINY DAYS AND MONDAYS (6:18)
10. SCAT BLUES [Introduction of the band] (7:00)
11. OVER THE RAINBOW (8:16)
12. ILL REMEMBER APRIL [Reprise] (2:25)
13. SUMMERTIME (4:19)
14. WAVE (7:20) (*) Bonus Track
15. LIKE SOMEONE IN LOVE (2:42) (*) Bonus Track
16. MY FUNNY VALENTINE (5:56) (*) Bonus Track
Total time: 78:06 min.
Personnel: Sarah Vaughan (vcl), Carl Schroeder (p), John Gianelli (b) and Jimmy Cobb (d). Recorded live in Belgrade, Yugoslavia, on November 11, 1973.
The bonus tracks has been taken from his previous concert at the Sun Plaza Hall, in Tokyo, Japan, on September 24, 1973.