Sammy Davis Jr. (vcl), Marty Paich (p, dir, arr), Jack Sheldon, Al Porcino, John Audino (tp), Vince DeRosa (Frh), Stu Williamson, Bob Enevoldsen (v-tb), Red Callender (tuba), Joe Maini (as), Bud Shank (as, fl), Bill Perkins, Bob Cooper (ts), Bill Hood, Jack Nimitz (bs), Jimmy Rowles, Dave Grusin (p), Joe Mondragon (b), Mel Lewis, Frank Capp (d), Larry Bunker (vib, perc), Emil Richards (perc)
Reference: FSRCD 922
Bar code: 8427328609227
This collection features Sammy Davis Jr. as a singer at his best, blending superbly with the beautifully crafted work of arranger Marty Paich conducting his famous jazz Dek-tette and larger orchestral units derived from it. Seasoned with the notable contributions of such jazz soloists as Jack Sheldon, Bud Shank, Mel Lewis and Jimmy Rowles, Paich’s settings were perfect for Davis. And this is how they felt about each other.
Davis: “Trust is everything in life. That’s why I chose Marty Paich. I trusted his work with my buddy Mel Tormé at Bethlehem and Verve. Paich had this West Coast jazz-style approach to music. Together we made some of the best recordings of my career.”
Paich: “Sammy Davis is easy to work with from the arranger’s standpoint. Why? Because he’s got such a fantastic sense of time and rhythm which makes for good singing. He has an excellent ear and is able to adjust to anything I might write for him. Once he hears a chart, he makes adjustments to it, which is the type of singer I like to work with because in a sense he is like a jazz musician, fitting his singing into the arrangement.”
That same jazz feel and great talent were marvellously married by Davis and Paich on these essential sides, gathered here for the first time.
01. A Lot of Livin’ to Do (Strouse-Adams) 2:45
02. Can’t We Be Friends (Swift-James) 2:53
03. Someone Nice Like You (Bricusse-Newley) 2:23
04. Too Close for Comfort (Bock-Holofcener-Weiss) 3:01
05. Soon (G. & I. Gershwin) 2:48
06. Come on Strong (Van Heusen-Cahn) 2:34
07. Make Someone Happy (Styne-Comden-Green) 2:53
08. Gonna Build a Mountain (Bricusse-Newley) 2:22
09. Blame It On My Youth (Levant-Heyman) 4:14
10. Falling In Love with Love (Rodgers-Hart) 2:25
11. Bye Bye Blackbird (Henderson-Dixon) 2:47
12. Once in a Lifetime (Bricusse-Newley) 2:08
13. My Romance (Rodgers-Hart) 3:30
14. Two Ladies in de Shade of de Banana Tree (Arlen-Capote) 2:57
15. Let There Be Love (Grant-Rand) 2:49
16. Guys and Dolls (Frank Loesser) 2:08
17. A Second Chance (Previn-Langdon) 2:59
18. There Is Nothin’ Like a Dame (Rodgers-Hammerstein II) 2:35
19. Thou Swell (Rodgers-Hart) 2:58
20. Something’s Coming (Bernstein-Sondheim) 2:48
21. That Great-Comeand-Get-It Day (Lane-Harburg) 2:42
22. They Go to San Diego (Mel Tormé) 2:32
23. The Party’s Over (Styne-Comden-Green) 4:12
All recordings originally issued on Reprise Records
Sammy Davis Jr., vocals, accompanied by the Marty Maich Dek-Tette & Orchestra
Tracks #2,5,9,11,15 & 19: Marty Paich Dek-tette
Marty Paich, arranger-conductor, piano on #19, Jack Sheldon, Al Porcino (tp); Vince DeRosa (Frh); Stu Williamson (v-tb); Red Callender (tuba); Bud Shank (as); Bill Perkins (ts); Bill Hood (bs); Joe Mondragon (b); Mel Lewis (d).
Recorded at United Recordings Studio, Hollywood, February 1961
Tracks #1,3,4,6-8,10,12-14,16-18,20-23: Marty Paich & His Orchestra
Collective personnel includes Jack Sheldon, Al Porcino, John Audino, Stu Williamson (tp); Vince DeRosa, Sinclair Lott, George Price, Harry Schmidt, Aubrey Bouck (Frh); Red Callender, John Kitzmiller (tuba); Bob Enevoldsen (vtb); Joe Maini (as); Bud Shank (as, fl); Bill Perkins, Bob Cooper (ts); Bill Hood, Jack Nimitz (bs); Jimmy Rowles, Dave Grusin (p); Al Hendrickson (g); Joe Mondragon (b); Mel Lewis, Frank Capp (d); Larry Bunker (vb, bongos, conga, tympani); Emil Richards (perc); Ann Stockton (harp); violins; violas; cellos.
Recorded at United Recordings Studio, Hollywood, 1961 & 1962
This compilation produced by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!