Just One Of Those Things
Nat King Cole (vcl, p), Billy May (arr & cond), Willie Smith (as), Buddy Collette, Ted Nash (ts), Harry Edison, Pete Candoli (tp), Si Zentner (tb), Red Callender (tuba), Jimmy Rowles (p), Barney Kessel, John Collins (g), Charlie Harris (b), Lee Young (d),
This release contains Nat King Coles complete 1957 original album Just One of Those Things, with orchestra conducted by Billy May. It is considered his best swing album ever as a singer. Numerous bonus tracks showcasing Cole with both the Billy May and Nelson Riddle orchestra have been added.
01. WHEN YOUR LOVER HAS GONE (2:34)
02. A COTTAGE FOR SALE (2:59)
03. WHOS SORRY NOW (2:59)
04. ONCE IN A WHILE (2:49)
05. THESE FOOLISH THINGS (3:48)
06. JUST FOR THE FUN OF IT (2:36)
07. DONT GET AROUND MUCH ANYMORE (3:13)
08. I UNDERSTAND (2:26)
09. JUST ONE OF THOSE THINGS (2:15)
10. THE SONG IS ENDED (2:47)
11. I SHOULD CARE (2:48)
12. THE PARTYS OVER (2:44)
13. TANGERINE (2:46) (*) Bonus Track
14. ST. LOUIS BLUES (2:25*) (*) Bonus Track
15. ANGEL EYES (3:15) (*) Bonus Track
16. LOVER, COME BACK TO ME (2:32) (*) Bonus Track
17. CANT I (3:16) (*) Bonus Track
18. TEACH ME TONIGHT (3:12) (*) Bonus Track
19. WALKIN MY BABY BACK HOME (2:40) (*) Bonus Track
20. WHAT DOES IT TAKE (2:47) (*) Bonus Track
21. WALKIN (2:50) (*) Bonus Track
22. IM HURTIN (2:51) (*) Bonus Track
23. PAPA LOVES MAMBO (2:40) (*) Bonus Track
24. TOO MARVELOUS FOR WORDS (1:55) (*) Bonus Track
25. ITS ONLY A PAPER MOON (2:11) (*) Bonus Track
26. ID RATHER HAVE THE BLUES (2:54) (*) Bonus Track
27. NEVER LET ME GO (2:55) (*) Bonus Track
Total time: 75:14 min.
Tracks #1-12 from "Just One Of Those Things" (Capitol W-903).
Nat King Cole (vcl) on all tracks, with Orchestra conducted by Billy May, featuring: Willie Smith (as), Buddy Collette, Ted Nash (ts), Harry Sweets Edison, Pete Candoli, Conrad Gozzo (tp), Si Zentner, Murray McEachern, George Roberts (tb), Red Callender (tuba), Jimmy Rowles (p), Barney Kessel, John Collins (g), Charlie Harris (b), Lee Young (d) and Jack Costanzo (perc) among others. Recorded in Los Angeles, July 10-August 7, 1957.
The bonus tracks #13-27: Nat King Cole (vcl, p) with orchestras conducted by Billy May and Nelson Riddle. Tracks recorded in Los Angeles & Hollywood, between 1951-1958.
"Just One of Those Things is a theme album comparable to one of Frank Sinatra's up-tempo swing albums of the same period (Come Fly With Me, etc.), and employs the same arranger/conductor, Billy May. Nat King Cole is a bit less effective than Sinatra at up-tempo material; he tends to undersing these sprightly standards, and May saves his dramatic horn charts and percussion shots for moments when Cole is away from the microphone. Even so, by the fifth track, "These Foolish Things Remind Me of You," May has retreated to ballad time, and though his embellishments threaten to break out behind the singer, Cole gives an assured, unhurried performance. And that's the point: that Cole has tamed the rambunctious May does not mean he doesn't give wonderful interpretations to some wonderful songs: "Don't Get Around Much Anymore," "Just One of Those Things," "The Song Is Ended (But the Melody Lingers On)." And the light-handed swing supports those efforts well."
William Ruhlmann -All Music Guide
"I'm an interpreter of stories, when I perform it's like I'm just sitting down at my piano and telling fairy stories."
Nat Cole -Time magazine (1951)