Bar code: 8427328423472
Nasheet Waits followed his father's footsteps. The son of the legendary percussionist Frederick Waits was, after his music studies at the University of Long Island, asked by drum legend Max Roach to come and play with him in M'Boom, a one-of-a-kind band that consisted of drummers and percussionists only. After M'Boom he toured with alto saxophonist Antonio Hart. In the new millennium Waits became a regular in Andrew Hill's group and also was part of pianist Jason Moran's Bandwagon.
Partly because of Waits' swinging, inventive play the rhythm section of that band, that includes bassist Tarus Mateen, was declared the most exciting rhythm section of the year 2001 by the authoritative magazine Jazztimes.Equality is the first band he leads. Balancing tradition and modernism,this is a quartet that consists - again, according to the motto 'never change a winning team' - of Waits, Moran and Mateen and is completed by young lion saxophonist Logan Richardson.
01. Tough Love (Andrew Hill) (6:41)
02. Shine (Logan Richardson) (7:46)
03. Hesitation (Nasheet Waits) (6:48)
04. Mrs. Parker of K.C. (Jaki Byard) (4:23)
05. The Summit (Jason Moran) (4:55)
06. Emil Danenberg (Stanley Cowell) (4:35)
07. Snake Stance (Jason Moran) (4:07)
08. King Hassan (Tarus Mateen) (6:18)
09. Kush (Nasheet Waits) (3:26)
Total time: 49:20 min.
Recorded in May 2008.
Recording engineer Glen Forrest
Mix engineer: Jon Rosenberg
Produced by Nasheet Waits
Jason Moran appears courtesy of Blue Note records.
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!