Bar code: 8427328480024
Mayte Alguacil began as a flute player at 12, and developed a real taste for singing only in the last few years. She started singing in different projects, until she decided to do her first project as a singer, an album devoted to what she loved the most: the Great American Song Book. And so she did an album of standards.
The excellent work of the rhythm section allow things to flow in a relaxed and natural way. The sure, driving drums of Jorge Rossy and the strong bass of Pedro Campos along with the melodic, swinging and great comping and soloingof Michael Kanan are the perfect support to Mayte on the mid and up tempo tunes. On the singer-pianist duets, beauty is the word that best defines what they do in each song. Her singing comes out as fresh and pure, straightfrom the heart, with a close love for the melody and full of the sweetest nuances, structured by her own feeling for simplicity. And to embrace simplicity and make it expressive, lovely and moving is one of the most difficult things for any artist to pull off.
01. Im Gonna Lock My Heart and Throw Away the Key (Eaton-Shand) 3:55
02. Little Girl Blue (Rodgers-Hart) 4:18
03. Day by Day (Stordahl-Weston-Cahn) 3:22
04. East of the Sun (Bowman) 3:53
05. A Nightingale Sang in Berkeley Square (Sherwin-Maschwitz) 3:51
06. September in the Rain (Warren-Dubin) 5:54
07. The Thrill Is Gone (Brown-Henderson) 4:02
08. Bewitched, Bothered and Bewildered (Rodgers-Hart) 4:08
09. Sophisticated Lady (Ellington-Parish) 3:51
10. I Wish You Love (Trenet) 3:40
11. The Nearness of You (Carmichael-Washington) 6:02
Total time: 48:00 min. approx.
Mayte Alguacil (vocals), Michael Kanan (piano), Pedro Campos (bass), Jorge Rossy (drums).
Recorded at Begues, Barcelona, March 4 & 5, 2015
Engineered, mixed & mastered by Ferran Conangle
Photography & design: Manuel Ocaña, Ignasi Piñol, Jaume Juan
Produced by Mayte Alguacil
Executive producer: Jordi Pujol