Art Farmer, Donald Byrd (tp), Frank Rehak, Bob Brookmeyer (tb), Phil Woods, Hal McKusick (as), Al Cohn, Frank Socolow (ts), Bill Evans, Eddie Costa, Mal Waldron (p), Teddy Charles (vb), Addison Farmer, George Duvivier (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d)
Reference: FSRCD 381
Bar code: 8427328603812
This CD has been replaced by its reissue FSRCD 539
Outstanding sound. Digital remastering in 24 bit high resolution.
Recorded in New York in 1959, "Something New, Something Blue" was designed as a vehicle for four arrangers, Teddy Charles, Teo Macero, Bill Russo, and Manny Albam, who each contributed an original composition and a new version of a blues standard for a medium-size ensemble which included Donald Byrd, Bob Brookmeyer, Mal Waldron, Ed Shaughnessy, Bill Evans, Mal Waldron, Art Farmer and others.
01. Night Crawlers - Manny Albam 4:09
02. Tin Roof Blues - Manny Albam 6:48
03. Blues for Amy - Teo Macero 4:44
04. St. Louis Blues - Teo Macero 4:30
05. Swinging Goatsherd Blues - Teddy Charles 4:16
06. Blues in the Night - Teddy Charles 4:42
07. East Hampton Blues - Bill Russo 5:47
08. Davenport Blues - Bill Russo 3:41
Tracks #1-4: Art Farmer (tp), Frank Rehak (tb), Phil Woods (as), Al Cohn (ts), Bill Evans, Eddie Costa (p), Addison Farmer (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d).
Tracks #5-8: Donald Byrd (tp), Bob Brookmeyer (tb), Hal McKusick (as), Frank Socolow (ts), Mal Waldron (p); Teddy Charles (vb), George Duvivier (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d).
Both sessions recorded in New York City, on May 15, 1959
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol