Complete Introducing Sessions - Featuring Hank Mobley Quintet
Lee Morgan, Hank Mobley, Hank Jones, Doug Watkins, Art Taylor
2 Albums On 1 CD!
Total time: 64:06 min
1. Hank's Shout (Mobley) 7:00
2. Bet! (Watkins) 7:52
3. Softly as in a Morning Sunrise (Romberg-Hammerstein II) 2:31
4. P.S. I Love You (Jenkins-Mercer) 4:22
5. Easy Living (Robin-Rainger) 2:46
6. That's All (Haymes-Brandt) 2:42
7. Nostalgia (Navarro) 8:51
8. Thad's Blues (Jones) 9:47
9. A-1 (Mobley)
10. Doug's Minor B'ok (Watkins) 6:37
11. A-1 (Mobley) (alternate)
Recorded in Hackensack, NJ, 1956.
This phenomenal CD contains the complete music recorded by Lee Morgan at the tender, yet mature age of 18, the November 5 and 7, 1956, at the Rudy Van Gelders studio in Hackensack, New Jersey, under the leadership of the Hank Mobley Quintet with pianist Hank Jones, bassist Doug Watkins, and drummer Art Taylor. This All-Stars quintet plays six originals (one by Fats Navarro, one by Thad Jones, two by Hank Mobley, and two by Doug Watkins) and a Ballad Medley with Softly, As in A Morning Sunrise, P.S. I Love You, Easy Living and Thats All.
These titles was originally issued on two LPs titled Introducing Lee Morgan with Hank Mobleys Quintet, and Jazz Message No. 2.
This hard bop-oriented session is one of trumpeter Lee Morgans earliest recordings, with tenor saxophonist Hank Mobley The lead voices are in fine form on Fats Navarros Nostalgia and other originals.
- Scott Yanow, ALL MUSIC GUIDE TO JAZZ