Jimmy Witherspoon (vcl), Gerald Wilson, Harry Edison (tp), Teddy Edwards, Jimmy Allen (ts), Hampton Hawes, Paul Moer (p), Herman Mitchell (g), Jimmy Hamilton, Jimmy Bond (b), Jimmy Miller, Frank Butler (d)
Reference: JB 539
Bar code: 8436019585399
This release contains the complete original World Pacific album "Singin the Blues" showcasing Jimmy Witherspoon masterfully accompanied by jazzmen like Harry Edison, Gerald Wilson, Teddy Edwards and Hampton Hawes.
Three rare sessions Previously unissued on CD have been added as a bonus. The last one, recorded in 1970, present an electrified all-star group also including Harry Edison, Plas Johnson, as well as Gildo Mahones and Ray Brown.
01. S.K. BLUES (2:50)
02. WHEN I'VE BEEN DRINKIN' (3:38)
03. THEN THE LIGHTS GO OUT (3:00)
04. ALL THAT'S GOOD (3:02)
05. SPOON'S BLUES (2:26)
06. IT AIN'T WHAT YOU'RE THINKIN' (3:26)
07. 'TAIN'T NOBODY'S BUSINESS (2:25)
08. WEE BABY BLUES (3:19)
09. TIMES ARE CHANGING (3:00)
10. SWEET'S BLUES (5:19)
11. THERE'S GOOD ROCKIN' TONIGHT (4:14)
12. MIDNIGHT BLUES (RED SHIRT) (5:16)
13. GOIN' TO CHICAGO BLUES (3:59) (*) Bonus Track
14. IN BLUES (3:34) (*) Bonus Track
15. GEE BABY, AIN'T I GOOD TO YOU (2:33) (*) Bonus Track
16. LOSER'S BLUES (2:15) (*) Bonus Track
17. LIFE'S HIGHWAY (KEYS TO THE HIGHWAY) (2:27) (*) Bonus Track
18. CRY THE BLUES (2:26) (*) Bonus Track
19. WEE WEE BABY (OUT BLUES) (2:08) (*) Bonus Track
20. COMING HOME (3:08) (*) Bonus Track
21. SPOON'S BEEP BEEP BLUES (5:12) (*) Bonus Track
22. ELMIRA (2:52) (*) Bonus Track
Total time: 72:41 min.
Tracks #1-12 from "Singin' The Blues" (World Pacific WP 1267).
Tracks #13-19 originally appeared in 1966 as part of the collective 3-LP set entitled "The Blues Box" (Verve Folkways FTS 3011-3).
Tracks #20-22 taken from the 1970 ABC-Paramount LP "Handbags And Gladrags" (ABC S 717).
Personnel on tracks #1-12: Jimmy Witherspoon (vcl), Teddy Edwards, Jimmy Allen (ts), Gerald Wilson (tp), Hampton Hawes (p), [Harry Edison and Henry McDode replaces Wilson & Hawes on #1, 3, 5, 7 & 10], Herman Mitchell (g), Jimmy Hamilton (b) and Jimmy Miller (d). Recorded at Radio Recorders in Los Angeles, May 8 & 16, 1958.
Personnel on tracks #13-19: Jimmy Witherspoon (vcl), Teddy Edwards (ts), Paul Moer (p), Herman Mitchell (g), Jimmy Bond (b) and Frank Butler (d). Recorded in Los Angeles, 1960.
Personnel on track #20: Jimmy Witherspoon (vcl), Teddy Edwards (ts), plus unknown g, p, b & d. Recorded in Hollywood, early 1958.
Personnel on tracks #21-22: Jimmy Witherspoon (vcl), Harry Sweets Edison (tp), Plas Johnson (el-ts), Gildo Mahones (el-p), Art Hillery (org), Mel Brown, Arthur Adams (g), Ray Brown (b, el-b) and Earl Palmer (d). Recorded in Los Angeles, on February 19, 1970.
"Jimmy Witherspoon is heard in superior form throughout the two Pacific Jazz sessions included here. Produced by David Axelrod with fine backup and short solos from either Harry "Sweets" Edison (in top form) or Gerald Wilson on trumpet, both Teddy Edwards and Jimmy Allen on tenors, Henry McDode or Hampton Hawes on piano, rhythm guitarist Herman Mitchell, bassist Jimmy Hamilton and drummer Jimmy Miller, Spoon digs into such numbers as "When I've Been Drinkin'," "Then the Lights Go Out," "There's Good Rockin' Tonight" and a remake of his big hit "'Tain't Nobody's Business." The closing "Midnight Blues" is an instrumental, giving the band a chance to stretch out a bit. Recommended."
Scott Yanow -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!