Jack Nimitz (bs), Lou Levy (p), Dave Carpenter (b), Joe LaBarbera (d)
Reference: FSRCD 5006
Bar code: 8427328650069
01. I'm Getting Sentimental Over You (Washington-Bassman) 6:52
02. Lost In The Stars (Anderson-Weill) 6:26
03. Half Nelson (Miles Davis) 6:20
04. Blue Monk (Thelonious Monk) 5:51
05. Hello, Young Lovers (Hammerstein II-Rodgers) 5:53
06. 'Tis Autumn (Nemo) 4:23
07. Confirmation (Charlie Parker) 6:47
08. They Didn't Believe Me (Rourke-Kern) 3:14
09. Blue Bossa (Kenny Dorham) 8:56
10. A Handful Of Stars (Kawrence-Shapiro) 4:42
11. You Leave Me Breathless (Freed-Hollander) 4:51
12. Lean On Me (Waldman-Green) 5:37
Total time: 69:52 min.
Jack Nimitz (baritone sax, bass-clarinet), Lou Levy (piano), Dave Carpenter (bass), and Joe LaBarbera (drums).
Recorded at Sage & Sound Studio, Hollywood, May 18 & 19, 1995
Recording & mixing engineer: Jim Mooney
Second engineer: Don Mooney
Studio supervision: Dick Bank
Mastering engineer: Joe Sidore
Liner notes: Dick Bank, Lou Levy, Bill Perkins
Photographs: William Claxton
Design: Rafa Ros
Producer: Dick Bank
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
"Baritonist Jack Nimitz has been part of a countless number of records through the years, including with the orchestras of Woody Herman and Stan Kenton, in the studios since 1959, and with Supersax. But until producer Dick Bank decided to put Nimitz at the head of a quartet session for Fresh Sound ("Confirmation"), he had never had the opportunity to lead his own record date. Teamed up with pianist Lou Levy, bassist Dave Carpenter, and drummer Joe LaBarbera, Nimitz explores a dozen superior songs, ranging from standards ("I'm Getting Sentimental Over You" and "A Handful of Stars") and bop tunes ("Half Nelson" and "Confirmation") to a lyrical "Lost in the Stars," alternating hard swingers with tender ballad statements. This particularly strong straight-ahead Fresh Sound date is highly recommended."
Scott Yanow -All Music Guide
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!