Reference: DRCD 11275
This new Great American Composers series is dedicated to the Songbooks of the most famous American author s of songs and musical comedies.
The series includes ten CDs devoted to the most important composers and lyricists in the Twenty Century musical history of American Popular Music. From Cole Porter to George Gershwin, all the 10 outstanding names from this collection provide substantial primary material from the great jazz figures improvisations.
Each CD includes a selection of the most representative works of the songbook of each author, opening and closing with different and outstanding versions of the songs that entitle the album.
The comprehensive liner notes include a biography of the protagonist, track listings with commentaries about the history of each song and about the performers of the different versions.
A fascinating panorama of the American Popular Music painted by great jazz and jazzy players.
01. Star Dust - Nat King Cole & Gordon Jenkins Orchestra
02. Georgia on My Mind - Hoagy Carmichael & Buddy Cole Trio
03. Rockin' Chair - Zoot Sims & Al Cohn Sextet
04. I Get Along Without You Very Well - Chet Baker Quartet
05. In the Cool, Cool, Cool of the Evening - Dean Martin & Orchestra
06. Judy - Art Tatum
07. Lazy River - Hoagy Carmichael
08. Baltimore Oriole - Sheila Jordan Quartet
09. Ole Buttermilk Sky - Four Freshmen & Billy May Orchestra
10. When Love Goes Wrong - Margaret Whiting & Buddy Cole Orchestra
11. Memphis in June - Johnny Mercer & Billy May Orchestra
12. The Nearness of You - Milt Jackson & Horace Silver Quartet
13. Skylark - Dinah Shore & Red Norvo Quintet
14. Star Dust - Buddy DeFranco, Tal Farlow & Sonny Clark
15. How Little We Know - Nat King Cole & Nelson Riddle Orchestra
16. Two Sleepy People - Hoagy Carmichael & Johnny Mandel Orchestra
17. A Woman Likes to Be Told - Kay Starr & Orchestra
18. Skylark - John Lewis Quartet
19. New Orleans - Hoagy Carmichael, Art Pepper & Harry 'Sweets' Edison
20. Heart and Soul - Mel Tormé Trio
21. Winter Moon - Hoagy Carmichael & Johnny Mandel Orchestra
22. Lazy River - Bing Crosby, Louis Armstrong & Billy May Orchestra
23. I Get Along Without You Very Well - Billie Holiday & Ray Ellis Orchestra
24. Star Dust - Hoagy Carmichael Trio
Total time: 79:32 min.