Reference: FSRCD 394
This CD brings together two excellent sessions that Chamblee made in Chicago in 1957 and 1958, fronting a septet of outstanding category that had previously served as a very efficient backing group on some of the recordings made by his wife Dinah Washington. They were most certainly not just mere blowing sessions in the studio but effective and exciting arrangements executed with enormous precision and swing.
Throughout these sessions we can hear Chamble in his triple facet of impressive honker, excellent composer and quality arranger. Apart from the splendid labours of the leader, on many of the themes that appear on this CD we can hear other experienced jazzmen such as Joe Newman, Johnny Coles, Charlie Davis or Jack Wilson.
A very suitable example of the extraordinary quality of a musician who made some of his best performances fronting small combos, the type of formation that allowed him to demonstrate his great musical qualities and his enormous capacity for swinging.
1. Chamblee Special (Chamblee-Freema) 4:29
2. Without A Song (Youmans-Rose-Eliscu) 4:39
3. At Your Beck And Cal (Delange-Ram) 2:40
4. And The Angels Sing (Elman-Mercer) 3:58
5. Whisper Not (Benny Golson) 3:10
6. Flat Beer (Chamblee-Freema) 4:11
7. Sometimes Im Happy (Youmans-Caesar) 4:34
8. Stella By Starlight (Young-Washington) 3:58
9. Tea For Two (Youmans-Caesar) 3:14
10. Strollin Sax (Priester-Washington) 2:12
11. Stardust (Carmichael-Parish) 4:17
12. Swing A Little Taste (Priester-Washington) 1:52
13. Robbins Nest (Thompson-Jacquet) 4:01
14. Doodlin (Horace Silver) 2:38
15. Village Square (Priester-Washington) 2:23
16. Lone Gone (Chamblee) 4:23
17. Lester Leaps Again (Buck Clayton) 3:24
18. Solitude (Ellington-Delange-Mills) 4:35
19. Back Street (Chamblee) 2:14
Personnel and Dates:
Tracks #1-5: Johnny Coles (tp), Julian Priester (tb), Eddie Chamblee (ts), Charlie Davis (bs), Jack Wilson (p), Richard Evans (b), Charlie Persip (d).
#6-9: Joe Newman (tp) and Osie Johnson (d) replaxe Coles and Persip.
#10-19: Flip Ricard (tp), Julian Priester (tb), Eddie Chamblee (ts, vcl #11), Charlie Davis (bs), Jack Wilson (p), Robert Wilson (b), Charlie james Slaughter (d).
Recorded in Chicago, 1957 (1-9) and 1958 (10-19).
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!