Reference: FSRCD 393
Don Redman has been one of the most influential people in the development of swing and the proliferation of big band jazz during the 20's and 30's. He actually was the first musician in jazz's history to write complex arrangements for big orchestras. The music in this CD is a compilation of two sessions recorded in New York in 1957. The first one has many song composed by Don Redman. The formation playing is variable but well balanced and includes great musicians as Joe Wilder, Seldon Powell and Coleman Hawkins who leaves his unique style. For the next session, Redman gathered a true big band. This time he had the collaboration of a few composers, most of them little known, taking care himself of alla arrangements and also participating as a musician. We can hear again Coleman Hawkins, Joe Wilder and Seldon Powell joined by Charlie Shavers and Al Cohn.
1. Park Avenue Patter (Redman) 3:13
2. Good Boog Di Goodie (Logan-Washington) 2:10
3. Black Velvet (Hufnagle) 3:13
4. Ballade De Ballet Templeton) 2:38
5. My Confectionary Baby (Redman) 2:24
6. My Girl Friday (Redman) 2:54
7. Looney (Chapman) 2:24
8. The Blames On You (Fields-Redman) 2:52
9. Penthouse Alley (Redman) 2:26
10. Seedlees Grapefruit (Redman) 2:33
11. Last Night In Town (Keller) 2:42
12. To The River (Stanton) 2:18
13. Ballad N Bounce (Eaymann) 2:31
14. Dreamy Melody (Koch) 2:26
15. Desert Dance (Klemm) 2:40
16. Chevys Chase (Keller) 2:37
17. Christmas In The Valley (O'Connell Jr) 2:05
18. Donnybrook (Buzuk) 2:53
19. Aint Gonna Get Fooled Again (Cook-Kanner) 3:51
20. Voodoo (Haubiel) 1:18
Personnel and dates:
Tracks #1-10: Joe Wilder (tp); Bobby Byrne, Tyree Glenn (tb); Red Press (fl,cl,as); Don Redman (as,ss,p,celesta,vb); Coleman Hawkins, Seldon Powell (ts); Danny Bank (bacl,bs); Hank Jones (p,org); Barry Galbraith (g); George Duvivier (b); Osie Johnson (d); Melvin Moore (vcls).
Recorded in NYC, April 1957.
#11-20: Joe Wilder, Charlie Shavers, Al Mattaliano (tp); Sonny Russo, Jimmy Cleveland, Bobby Byrne (tb); Don Redman (as,vb,whistling); George Dorsey, Milt Yaner (fl,as); Coleman Hawkins, Al Cohn (ts); Seldon Powell (fl,ts); Danny Bank (bs); Hank Jones (p); George Barnes (g); Al Hall (b); Osie Johnson (d).
Recorded in NYC, July 22 & 26, 1957.