The 1965 Canadian Concert
Dave Brubeck (p), Paul Desmond (as), Eugene 'Senator' Wright (b), Joe Morello (d)
Presented here for the first time ever on CD, this release contains a splendid 1965 concert by the Dave Brubeck Quartet with Paul Desmond recorded in Ontario, Canada. Here then is the quartet under the ideal and stimulating surroundings of the Stratford Music Festival. A live, knowledgeable audience always brought out the quartet's best efforts. The rapport and interchange of ideas between Dave Brubeck and Paul Desmond and between the quartet itself was a thing of beauty. Dave is at his creative and swinging (contrary to a few so-called critics, probably the same critics who claimed Monk did not swing) best on this recording, while Paul's ideas flow, sing, and build effortlessly and naturally. A superb concert.
As a bonus, all of the music from an extremely rare 1962 TV broadcast featuring the same group has been added.
01. ST. LOUIS BLUES (W.C. Handy) (11:19)
02. TAKE THE "A" TRAIN (Billy Strayhorn) (8:23)
03. CULTURAL EXCHANGE (Dave Brubeck) (6:54)
04. TANGERINE (Johnny Mercer-Victor Schertzinger) (6:46)
05. SOMEDAY MY PRINCE WILL COME (Frank Churchill-Larry Morey) (5:11)
06. THESE FOOLISH THINGS (Link-Marvell-Maschwitz-Strachey) (10:55)
07. KOTO SONG (Dave Brubeck) (5:01)
08. TAKE FIVE (incomplete) (Paul Desmond) (1:50)
09. ST. LOUIS BLUES (W.C. Handy) (5:41) (*) Bonus Track
10. NOMAD (Dave Brubeck) (6:12) (*) Bonus Track
11. THANK YOU [DZIEKUJE] (Dave Brubeck) (5:51) (*) Bonus Track
12. BRANDENBURG GATE [Incomplete] (Dave Brubeck) (4:30) (*) Bonus Track
Total time: 78:38 min.
Tracks #1-8 originally issued as "The Canadian Concert of Dave Brubeck" (Can-Am 1500 Stereo LP).
Personnel: Dave Brubeck (p), Paul Desmond (as), Eugene 'Senator' Wright (b) and Joe Morello (d).
Tracks #1-8 recorded live at the Strattford Music Festival, Strattford, Ontario, Canada, on August 22, 1965.
The Bonus tracks were recorded at KQED TV program, in New York, on January 14, 1962.