Reference: FSRCD 414
Bar code: 8427328604147
Dave Brubeckthe first jazz musician to be featured in the cover of Time magazine after Louis Armstrong was born December 6, 1920 in Concord, California. Early in 1954, he was a typical representative of the new generation of jazz musicians in several respects. He was literate and articulate, thoroughly grounded in all fields of music and every branch of jazz. As for the recordings at hand, David admitted that the quartet sounds wonderful. In fact, said Dave, I think that On the Alamo is the greatest thing Ive put on record so far.
Paul Desmond once said about him: When Dave is playing at his best, its a profoundly moving thing to experience, emotionally, and intellectually. Its completely free, live improvisation in which you can find all the qualities about musicthe vigor and force of simple jazz, the harmonic complexities of Bartok and Milhaud, the form of Bach and, at times, the lyric romanticism of Rachmaninoff.
01. On The Alamo (Jones-Kahn) 10:45
02. Don't Worry 'Bout Me (Bloom-Koehler) 6:50
03. Gone With The Wind (Magison-Wrubel) 8:10
04. Back Bay Blues (Brubeck-Desmond) 6:32
05. Crazy Chris (Brubeck-Desmond) 6:45
06. Here Lies Love (Robin-Rainger) 5:55
07. When You're Smiling (Fisher-Goodwin-Shay) 9:12
08. Give a Little Whistle / Oh Lady Be Good *
(Harline-Washington / Gershwin) 6:52
09. You Go to My Head * (Gillespie-Coots) 7:50
10. Over the Rainbow * (Arlen-Harburg) 4:59
(*) Bonus Tracks
Personnel and dates:
Tracks #1-2: Dave Brubeck (p), Paul Desmond (as), Ron Crotty (b), John Dodge (d). Recorded at Storyville club, Boston, January 18 & 24, 1954
Tracks #3-5: Dave Brubeck (p), Paul Desmond (as), Bob Bates (b), John Dodge (d). Recorded at Storyville club, Boston, March 30, 1954
Tracks #6-7: Dave Brubeck (p), Paul Desmond (as), Bob Bates (b), John Dodge (d). Recorded at Storyville club, Boston, July 22, 1954
Tracks #3-5: Dave Brubeck (p), Paul Desmond (as), Lloyd Davis (d). Recorded at Storyville club, Boston, October 12, 1952
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!