Celebrated American jazz bassist Curtis Counce was born in Kansas City on 23, 1926 and died prematurely of a heart attack on July 31, 1963. He recorded prolifically as a sideman accompanying figures like Clifford Brown, and before creating his famous quintet in 1956, featuring Harold Land, Jack Sheldon, Frank Butler and another ill-fated musician, pianist Carl Perkins. All of the master take recordings by the original Curtis Counce Quintet are included on this release.
As a splendid bonus to the original studio master takes, they have added the complete soundtrack from a rare 1956 TV Show, the only known TV studio recording by this quintet. Although both "Love Walked In" and "A Fifth for Frank" were also recorded by the quintet in the same period, the longer tune, "Sophisticated Lady", is a welcome addition as it was never commercially recorded by this group.
Includes 16-page booklet with photos by William Claxton.
02. Time After Time
05. A Fifth for Frank
06. Big Foot
08. Stranger in Paradise
09. Woody'n You
10. Pink Lady
12. Love Walked In (*) Bonus Track
13. Sophisticated Lady (*) Bonus Track
14. A Fifth for Frank (*) Bonus Track
15. The Butler Did It [drum solo] (*) Bonus Track
Total time: 79:47 min.
01. Love Walked In
02. Too Close for Comfort
03. How Deep Is the Ocean?
05. Nica's Dream
06. How Long Has This Been Going On?
07. Mean to Me
08. I Can't Get Started
09. La Rue
10. Carl's Blues
11. A Night in Tunisia
Total time: 79:00 min.
- Tracks #1-6: Recorded on October 8, 1956.
- Tracks #7-9: Recorded on October 15, 1956.
- Tracks #10-11 & CD 2, #1-2: Recorded on April 22, 1957.
- Tracks #3-4: Recorded on May 13, 1957.
- Track #5-6: Recorded on August 29, 1957.
- Track #7: Recorded on September 3, 1957.
- Track #8 & 15: Recorded on January 6, 1958.
- Track #9-11: Same date. Gerald Wilson (tp) replaces Sheldon.
- Track #12-14: Jack Sheldon replaces Wilson. TV Show, November 12, 1956.
All tracks recorded in Los Angeles.
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!