Reference: BMCD 1621
Bar code: 8427328016216
This rare and longtime hard-to-find album was conceived to show how enjoyable cool trumpets can sound. Featured "Cool Gabriels" are Conte Candoli, Nick Travis, Don Stratton, Bernie Glow, Phil Sunkel, Al de Risi and Dick Sherman. The tune contained in this album were selected specifically to give each "Gabriel" a chance to show his stuff and also to demonstrate the various moods that could be brilliantly exemplified wit a trumpet ensemble. The fun that the musicians had making these recordings is apparent on every selection, including the Gerry Mulligan tunes, the clever Al Cohn items 'Cupcake' and 'Spooky', John Benson Brooks' devilish 'Nick', Paul Selden's somber 'Something Blue', and Elliot Lawrence's ligh compositions.
01. Elevation (Mulligan-Lawrence) 2:54
02. Five O'Clock Shadow (Lawrence-Reichner) 3:56
03. Happy Hooligan (Mulligan) 2:54
04. Spooky (Cohn) 2:54
05. Each Other's Arms (Lawrence-Reichner-Glenn) 3:59
06. The Swingin' Scot 1 & 2 (Lawrence) 3:10
07. Nick (Benson Brooks) 2:59
08. Cupcake (Cohn) 2:59
09. Mostly Latin (Lawrence) 2:21
10. Love is Just Arround the Corner (Lawrence) 2:49
11. Something Blue (Selden) 3:59
Total time: 32:42 min.
Originally issued by Groove as LG-1003
Conte Candoli, Nick Travis, Don Stratton, Bernie Glow, Phil Sunkel, Al de Risi, Dick Sherman (trumpets), Elliot Lawrence (piano), Burgher Jones (bass), and Sol Gubin (drums).
Recorded in New York City, June 1956
Original cover art: Andy Warhol
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol