Conte Candoli, Bill Holman, Lou Levy, Claude Williamson, Ira Sullivan, Leroy Vinnegar, Chubby Jackson, Lawrence Marable, Max Bennett, Stan Levey, Hank Jones, Barry Galbraith, Milt Hinton, Osie Johnson
Reference: FSRCD 384_2
Bar code: 8427328603843
The numbers on the enclosed two CDs are perfect examles of the modern jazz referred to earlier and, except for the first two themes, all the tracks were recorded not long after Conte Candoli had arrived in the Los Angeles area to set up home.
The first CD includes his recording debut in Chicago as a leader of a combo -with Bob Winn, Ira Sullivan, Gene Esposito, Chubby Jackson and ex-bandleader Tony Papa- originally issued on a 78rpm disc on the Chance label. It also includes a quartet date featuring pianist Claude Williamson, bassist Max Bennett and the great Steve Levey on drums. This exciting jazz session was the first one recorded by Bethlehem Records on the West Coast, far from its home base in Manhattan.
The Second CD here includes an unbeatable rhythm section made up of such West Coast luminaries as Lou Levy, Leroy Vinnegar and Lawrence Marable. The version here of "Lover Come Back to Me" has a fine blowing session feel to it, where the group really stretches out and the rhythm section shines, just as it does on "Four" and "Groovin' Higher". On the last four tracks Candoli is backed by what is known as "The New York Rhythm Section" (FSRCD 371). They play "T.N.T.", an up-tempo tune by Conte's old friend Tiny Kahn, that smacks heavily of the blues. However, there is not nearly enough space here to comment on all thirty tracks in this excellent collection of Candoli-led groups. Every listener will no doubt have his or her own preference from this record, which features an excellent cross-section of his playing capacity.
01. Mambo Junior (Esposito) 3:05
02. Flamingo (Anderson-Grouya) 2:56
03. Fine and Dandy (Swift-James) 3:13
04. Night Flight (Candoli) 2:39
05. I Can't Get Started (Duke-Gershwin) 2:59
06. On the Alamo (Kahn-Jones) 2:55
07. Tune for Tex (Taylor) 3:07
08. My Funny Valentine (Rodgers-Hart) 2:59
09. They Can't Take that Away from Me
10. Everything Happens to Me (Dennis-Adair) 2:47
11. I'll Remember April (Reye-DePaul) 2:31
12. Toot Sweet (B.Holman) 5:25
13. Jazz City Blues (B.Holman) 4:11
14. My Old Flame (Johnson-Coslow) 5:42
15. Full Count (Candoli) 6:24
16. I'm Getting Sentimental over You
17. Four (Miles Davis) 3:57
18. Groovin' Higher (Candoli) 5:10
01. Lover Come Back to Me (Romberg-Hammerstein) 8:18
02. Comes Love (Brown-Tobias-Stept) 4:16
03. Lover Man (Davis-Ramirez-Sherman) 3:35
04. Pete's Alibi (Candoli) 3:26
05. Cheremoya (Holman) 5:51
06. Jordu (Jordan) 4:57
07. Flamingo (Anderson-Grouya) 5:23
08. Marcia Lee (Candoli) 4:51
09. Thank You, Judge (Candoli) 3:27
10. T.N.T. (Kahn) 2:50
11. Comes Love (Brown-Tobias-Stept) 2:38
12. I'm Getting Sentimental over You
Personnel on CD 1:
Tracks #1-2: Conte Candoli (tp), Bob Winn (as), Ira Sullivan (ts), Gene Esposito (b), Tony Papa (d). Chicago, March 1954.
Tracks #3-11: Conte Candoli (tp), Claude Willamson (p), Max Bennett (b), Stan Levey (d). Los Angeles, November 20, 1954.
Tracks #12-18: Conte Candoli (tp), Bill Holman (ts), Lou Levy (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Lawrence Marable (d). Los Angeles, July 26, 1955.
Personnel on CD 2:
Tracks #1-8: Conte Candoli (tp), Bill Holman (ts), Lou Levy (p), Leroy Vinnegar (b), Lawrence Marable (d). Los Angeles, August 16, 1955.
Tracks #9-12: Conte Candoli (tp), Hanks Jones (p), Barry Galbraith (g), Milt Hinton (b), Osie Johnson (d). New York, June 11, 1956.
This compilation produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol