Bar code: 8436006496356
A rare live performance by Bird appearing here for the first time ever in its entirety. Recorded at Café Society in the last year of this famous club's existence.
The recording includes Parker's only known versions of "Bewitched" and "Gone with the Wind", as well as the only version of "Summertime" apart from the studio recording with strings.
This was an unusual set from Bird, without the usual compositions, but ballads and mid-tempo numbers instead.
01. 52nd STREET THEME [I] (0:46)
02. JUST FRIENDS [I] (3:08)
03. APRIL IN PARIS [I] (3:32)
04. A NIGHT IN TUNISIA into 52nd STREET THEME [II] (5:27)
05. 52nd STREET THEME [III] (0:36)
06. JUST FRIENDS [II] (3:10)
07. APRIL IN PARIS [II] (3:00)
08. MEDLEY 1:
-BOTHERED & BEWILDERED
09. MEDLEY 2:
-I COVER THE WATERFRONT
-GONE WITH THE WIND (4:26)
10. EASY TO LOVE into 52nd STREET THEME [IV] (4:58)
11. MEDLEY 3:
-IT'S THE TALK OF THE TOWN (6:44)
12. MOOSE THE MOOCHE into 52nd STREET THEME [V] (10:38)
13. LOVER, COME BACK TO ME (17:21)
14. 52nd STREET THEME [VI] (1:40)
Total time: 70:34 min.
Personnel on tracks #1-11:
Charlie Parker (as), Kenny Dorham (tp), Al Haig (p), Tommy Potter (b), Roy Haynes (d).
Personnel on tracks #12-14:
Charlie Parker (as), Kenny Dorham (tp), Tony Scott (cl), Brew Moore (ts), Dick Hyman (p), Chuck Wayne (g), Leonard Gaskin (b), Ed Shaughnessy (d).
Both sets recorded live at Café Society Downtown, New York City, June-July, 1950