Stu Williamson, Ray Triscari, Conte Candoli (tp), Frank Rosolino, Lloyd Ulyate (tb), Bud Shank (as), Richie Kamuca, Bob Cooper, Bill Holman (ts), Bill Perkins (bs), Russ Freeman (p), Jim Hall (g), Monty Budwig (b), Mel Lewis (d). Annie Ross (vcl)
Reference: FSRCD 616
Bar code: 8427328606165
Not yet 30 and dubbed Hollywoods wonder-boy of music when he recorded these sessions, Buddy Bregman had already amassed an incredible list of radio, television and motion picture credits, and had done backgrounds for everybody from Ella to Bing Crosby.
In 1959, he had a show every Sunday on NBC titled Buddy Bregmans Music Shop, where he appeared leading the powerful dance band with which he recorded the album Swingin Standards. The band featured the best of front rank Hollywood musicians, with fine soloing from brass and reeds and an excellent rhythm section authoritatively driven by Mel Lewis and the tasteful beat of guitarist Jim Hall. That same year, Buddy assembled a reduced version of his band to accompany Annie Rossone of the most versatile, brilliant and the swingingnest female jazz singer of the momentto record an album dedicated to the Broadway show Gypsy, with music composed by Buddys uncle Jule Styne, and lyrics written by Stephen Sondheim. Miss Ross has never been more hip, sultry and just plain enjoyable. Listening to the ripe, full sound the band gets suggests awesome power carefully under control.
This is the flamboyant swing of Buddy Bregmans band.
01. My Buddy (Kleffman) 2:36
02. All of You (Porter) 3:04
03. In a Mellotone (Ellington) 4:38
04. I Love Paris (Porter) 4:04
05. Its All Right with Me (Porter) 3:44
06. Too Close for Comfort (Bock-Holofcener-Weiss) 2:35
07. Baubles, Bangles, and Beads (Wright-Forrest) 2:24
08. Imagination (Van Heusen-Burke) 3:06
09. My Heart Stood Still (Rodgers-Hart) 4:08
10. Just in Time (Styne-Comden-Green) 3:40
11. Gypsy Ouverture -Instrumental (Styne-Sondheim) 3:44
12. Everythings Coming Up Roses (Styne-Sondheim) 3:45
13. Youll Never Get Away (Styne-Sondheim) 3:29
14. Some People (Styne-Sondheim) 4:09
15. All I Need Is a Boy (Styne-Sondheim) 2:55
16. Small World (Styne-Sondheim) 2:35
17. Together Where You Go (Styne-Sondheim) 4:36
18. Let Me Entertain You (Styne-Sondheim) 3:33
19. Roses -Reprise (Styne-Sondheim) 2:15
Total time: 66:00 min.
Tracks #1-10 from the 12" LP
"Swingin' Standards" (World Pacific STEREO-1024)
Tracks #11-19 from the 12" LP
"Gypsy" (World Pacific STEREO-1028)
Personnel on "Swingin' Standards":
Al Porcino, Stu Williamson, Ray Triscari, Conte Candoli, John Audino (tp); Frank Rosolino, Joe Howard, Lloyd Ulyate, Marshall Cram (tb); George Roberts (b-tb); Richie Kamuca, Bob Cooper, Bill Holman (ts); Bill Perkins (bs); Russ Freeman (p); Jim Hall (g); Monty Budwig (b) and Mel Lewis (d).
Recorded at United recording Studios, Hollywood, on April 21 (#6-10), 22 (#1-5), 1959.
Personnel on "Gypsy":
Annie Ross (vcl); Pete Candoli, Al Porcino (tp); Frank Rosolino (tb); Bud Shank (as); Richie Kamuca, Bill Perkins (ts); Russ Freeman (p); Jim Hall (g); Monty Budwig (b) and Mel Lewis (d).
Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, on July 7 & 8 (#11,13,14,15), 1959.
Original recordings produced by Dick Bock.
CD compilation produced by Jordi Pujol.
24-Bit Digitally Remastered