Reference: BMCD 879
Bar code: 8427328008792
· Collector's Edition
· Issued in Digipack
· 2 Original LPs on 1 CD
· Original Cover Art and Liner Notes
· Stereo Recordings
· Newly Remastered in 24-Bit
Bobby Hackett was one of those enduringly admirable jazzmen, lyrical, concise, logical, unfailingly melodic and individual, able to be himself regardless of style or context. The word mellow—which means softened, ripe, mature—has been used, properly, to describe the sound of his cornet, and he was justifiably well-known for his ability to transform a schmaltzy, drag-tempo tune with strings into meaningful music. In some jazz circles his consistently melodic approach was once somewhat out of fashion, possibly because aggression was not part of his artistic makeup, but no less than the great Miles Davis spoke admiringly of his gift for finding a very personal way through the changes.
And he was always never less than excellent. The stereo sound of these recordings brings out the beauty of his sound the most, with Hackett’s unusually lyrical horn backed by a subtle string orchestra arranged by Lew Davies, and the valuable assists from his friends: guitarists Tony Mottola and Al Casamenti, pianists Dave McKenna and Stan Freeman, with Bob Dougherty on bass, and Don Lamond on drums.
Bobby Hackett was once called the modern-day counterpart of Bix Beiderbecke. He wasn’t; Armstrong was his hero. But out of his inspiration he forged a personal style as delicately individual as Beiderbecke achieved.
01. My Foolish Heart (Young-Washington) 3:30
02. Laura (Raksin-Mercer) 3:15
03. When You Awake (Henry Nemo) 2:40
04. Emily (Mandel-Mercer) 3:31
05. I Guess I’ll Have to Dream the Rest (Green-Stoner-Block) 3:25
06. Delishious (G. & I. Gershwin) 3:27
07. September Song (Weill-Anderson) 3:28
08. The Touch of Your Lips (Ray Noble) 2:10
09. All Too Soon (Ellington-Sigman) 3:19
10. Nancy (Van Heusen-Silvers) 2:59
11. If You Were Only Mine (Jones-Newman) 3:14
12. Stars in My Eyes (Kreisler-Fields) 2:50
13. The Eyes of Love (Jones-Russell) 3:01
14. My Funny Valentine (Rodgers-Hart) 2:23
15. You Only Live Twice (Barry-Bricusse) 2:29
16. Wrap Your Troubles in Dreams (Moll-Koehler) 2:32
17. A Time for Love (Mandel-Webster) 3:06
18. The Lamp Is Low (DeRose-Shefter-Parish) 2:48
19. On The Street Where You Live (Loewe-Lerner) 2:59
20. Goodnight My Love (Gordon-Revel) 2:26
21. The Love I Give to You (Lew Davies) 2:36
22. Close Your Eyes (Bernice Petkere) 2:50
23. All Through the Night (Cole Porter) 2:25
24. You Stepped Out of a Dream (Brown-Kahn) 2:31
Tracks #1-12, from “That Midnight Touch” (Project PRS 5006D)
Tracks #13-24, from “A Time for Love” (Project PRS 5016D)
Bobby Hackett, cornet
With String Orchestra arranged & conducted by Lew Davies
#1-12 with Tony Mottola, guitar; Dave McKenna, piano; Bob Dougherty, bass, Don Lamond, drums.
#13-24 with Al Casamenti, guitar; Stan Freeman, piano; Bob Dougherty, bass, Don Lamond, drums.
Recorded at Fine Recording Studios, New York City, 1967
Original recordings produced by Enoch Light. Recording engineer: Robert Fine
Project cover designs by Charles E. Murphy
Produced for CD release by Jordi Pujol
Stereo · 24-Bit Digitally Remastered
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!