Bob Davis (p), Bob Crea (s #1-10), Dave Karr (fl,ts,bs #11-22), Stu Anderson (b #1-10), Johnny Frigo (b #11-22), Bill Blakkestad (d)
Reference: FSRCD 1624
2 LPs on 1 CD
The Davis group, featuring fellow Minneapolis jazzman William Blakkestad on drums, gigged frequently around the midwest including Chicago. With his drummer inclined to steal attention with solos in the style of Buddy Rich, the pianist also became known for technical mastery. It makes sense that two of the pianists that Davis picked out as influences over the years, Oscar Peterson and Bud Powell, are both known for technical virtuosity.
Jazz From The North Coast
1. Goose (bob Davis)
2. Just the Way You Look Tonight (Kern-Fields)
3. Nancy (Van Heusen-Silvers)
4. It's All Right with Me (Porter)
5. The Song is You (Kern-Hammerstein II)
6. Night in Tunisia (Gillespie-Paparelli)
7. Willow Weep for Me (Ronell)
8. China Boy (Winfree-Boutelje)
9. River Road (B.Davis)
10. The Lady is a Tramp (Rodgers-Hart)
Jazz In Orbit
11. Adam's Evening (B.Davis)
12. Windy City (Karr)
13. Darn that Dream (De Lange-Van Heusen)
14. Blues in Orbit (B.Davis)
15. Dr. Pepper (B.Davis)
16. Cherokee (R.Noble)
17. Buzzy (Porter)
18. Star Eyes (De Paul-Don Raye)
19. I Remember April (De Paul-Don Raye-Johnston)
20. Sometimes I'm Happy (Youmans)
21. Up in Ray's Pad (B.Davis)
22. Deedee's Dream (Karr)
Recorded at Minneapolis (#1-10) 1957 and (#11-22) 1958.
Originally issued on Zephir and Stephany Records.
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!