Complete TV Studio Recordings
This CD gathers all the Peppers Quartet recordings waxed in the Television studios between 1957 and 1964. First, two sessions from two Los Angeles shows, the famous "The Steve Allen Show" (with Carl Perkins on piano, Ben Tucker on bass, Chuck Flores on drums, and Pepper playing clarinet on one title), and the memorable "Stars of Jazz Show", hosted by Bobby Troup (with Larry Bunker or Victor Feldman on piano, and others). Finally, a session from the legendary Ralph J. Gleasons Jazz Casual program (with pianist Frank Strazzeri).
As bonus tracks, three alternate takes also with the unforgettable pianist Carl Perkins, bassist Ben Tucker and drummer Chuck Flores, originally recorded for a company of prerecorded stereo reel-to-reel tapes. These tracks, Cole Porters Begin the beguine, Bud Powells Webb City, and George Gershwins Fascinating Rhythm, are veritable rare collectors' items.
1. Cherokke (r. Noble) 2:11
2. Over The Rainbow (Alen-Harburg) 3:09
3. What Is This Thing Called Ñove (c. Porter) 2:59
4. All The Things You Are (Kern-Hammerstein II) 2:31
5. Stormy Weather (C.A.Jones) 2:48
6. Everything Happens To Me (Dennis-Adair) 2:43
7. St. Louis Blues (W.C Handy) 3:34
8. The Trip (A. Pepper) 8:28
9. D Section (A. Pepper) 12.:47
10. Junior Cat (A. Pepper) 2:51
11. Begin The Beguine* (c. Porter) 6:15
12. Webb City* (B. Powell) 4:34
13. Fascination Rhythm* (G. & I. Greshwin)4:00
Tracks 1,2, 3 "The Steve Allen Show", Los Angeles, January 18, 1957
Tracks 4, 5, 6, 7 "Stars of Jazz Show" Los Angeles, March 31, 1957
Tracks 8, 9, 10 "Jazz Casual Show", San Francisco, May 9, 1964
Tracks 11, 12, 13 Hollywood, April 1, 1957
* Bonus tracks (Alternate Takes)
Total time: 59:23 min.