Anita ODay (vcl), with Bill Holman & Russ Garcia Orchestras, feat. Conte Candoli, Stu Williamson (tp), Dick Nash, Frank Rosolino (tb), Joe Maini, Bud Shank (as, fl), Richie Kamuca (ts), Lou Levy (p), Howard Roberts (g), Al McKibbon (b), Mel Lewis (d)
Reference: FSRCD 619
Bar code: 8427328606196
Anita ODay had many fine groups to back her ever since she began lining out jazz, and this collection, recorded at the peak of her career, is a fine example of this statement, considering shes accompanied by orchestras arranged and conducted by such talented bandleaders as Bill Holman, and Russ Garcia.
In every setting, she sings with superb phrasing, and unique inflections. She exhibits her characteristic comprehension of the lyrics, as well as the melody, without becoming a slave to either. She has an uncanny ability to bend and mold a syllable or word into a meaningful musical experience, capriciously individualizing each tune by altering introduction, tempo, or mood.
The albums you are holding are, without a doubt, two of Anitas best.
01. It Could Happen to You (Burke-Van Heusen) 2:34
02. Blue Champagne (Watts-Ryerson) 2:34
03. Avalon (Ross-Jolson-DeSylva) 2:11
04. Old Devil Moon (Lane-Harburg) 3:00
05. The Partys Over (Styne-Green-Comden) 3:10
06. Why Shouldnt I? (Porter) 3:06
07. Easy Living (Robin-Rainger) 3:16
08. Cant We Be Friends (Swift-Warburg) 2:15
09. Slaughter on the 10th Avenue (Rodgers-Hart) 5:48
10. If I Love Again (Oakland-Murray) 2:47
11. Speak Low (Weil-Nash) 3:02
12. Indian Summer (Herbert-Dubin) 3:15
13. Yesterdays (Kern-Harbach) 5:10
14. Mad About the Boy (Coward) 3:25
15. That Old Feeling (Brown-Fain) 2:26
16. Waiter, Make Mine Blues (Biondi-O'Day) 3:20
17. When Sunny Gets Blue (Ficher-Segal) 3:04
18. Angel Eyes (Dennis-Brent) 3:38
19. Whatever Happened to You? (Cohn-Garlock-Wasserman) 4:41
20. A Blues Serenade (Grande-Lytell-Signorelli-Parish) 3:00
21. The Thrill Is Gone (Brown-Henderson) 2:12
22. Detour Ahead (Ellis-Frigo-Carter) 4:22
23. Goodbye (Jenkins) 3:38
24. Stella by Starlight (Young-Washington) 2:49
Total time: 80:04 min.
Tracks #1-12 originally issued on the 12" LP
"Incomparable!" (Verve V 8572 and V6-8572).
Tracks #13-24 originally issued on the 12" LP
"Waiter, Make Mine Blues" (Verve MGV 2145 and V6-2145).
Personnel on "Incomparable!":
Anita ODay (vcl), with orchestra arranged and conducted by Bill Holman
Al Porcino, Ray Triscari, Conte Candoli, Lee Katzman, Stu Williamson (tp), Bob Edmondson, Lew McCreary, Frank Rosolino (tb), Kenny Shroyer (b-tb), Joe Maini, Charlie Kennedy (as), Bill Perkins, Richie Kamuca (ts), Jack Nimitz (bs), Lou Levy (p), Al Hendrickson (g), Joe Mondragon (b) and Mel Lewis (d).
Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, on August, 16 (#1-3), August 18 (#4-6), August, 23 (#7-12), 1960.
Personnel on "Waiter, Make Mine Blues":
Anita ODay (vcl), with orchestra arranged and conducted by Russ Garcia
Tracks #13-16 & 21-24: Harry Betts, Dick Nash, Frank Rosolino, Dave Wells (tb), Kenny Shroyer (b-tb), Bud Shank (as, fl), Geoff Clarkson (p), Howard Roberts (g), Al McKibbon (b) and Mel Lewis (d).
Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, on August 1 (#13-16), and October 7 (#21-24), 1960.
Tracks #17-20: String orchestra arranged and conducted by Russ Garcia, featuring Bud Shank (as, fl) and Barney Kessel (g).
Recorded at Radio Recorders, Hollywood, on October 4, 1960.
All sessions originally produced by Norman Granz.
Reissue produced by Jordi Pujol and 'Beethoven' Jean-Michel Reisser.
24-Bit Digitally Remastered
No customer reviews yet. Login to leave your impressions!